Sunday, June 30, 2013

Seven Things

I have a thing for lists. I love them. I love to make them, I love to have one at the ready to check off tasks, and I love to look at a completed one and feel crazy accomplished. Not only to I like knowing that I achieved all my tasks, but that I was organized enough to put them onto a list and have them finished.

So when I take something new on, whether it's a project or it's a trip to the grocery store- I make a list. You know what that does? It gives me a path, a directional map of what needs to happen. It's kind of like a video game- and I like that. Who doesn't like clear goals that they can achieve to measure their success? Communists, that's who. And do you want to be a communist?

I didn't think so.

So I have a seven things theory: the idea that you can put seven steps into a list form to work with most things you want to accomplish.

Example: I want to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

1- Secure ingredients. Bread, Peanut Butter, Jelly.
2- Secure workplace. Counter with napkin and/or plate.
3- Gather tools. Butter knife and possibly a spoon if you wanna get crazy with your jelly.
4- Using your knife, spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread. With the same knife or using a spoon, spread the jelly on another slice of bread.
5- Combine the pieces together, jelly and peanut butter sides touching.
6-Cut Sandwich diagonally because it's the only right way to eat a PB&J.
7- Enjoy your sandwich. Or if you cut it wrong, enjoy your abomination.

So there you go. Seven things to get you what you want.

What do you want to accomplish? Think it through, get some steps in mind. They may not always be as clear and concise as the PB&J but you can get creative and break it down. And if you need more steps? It's okay!! I just really like the Miley Cyrus 7Things song and thought 'Wow, this would be an amazeballs way to organize my life.'

Okay maybe I really thought 'wow, can you believe she used to have so much hair?'

No comments: